The St Spiridon Church holds the remains of St Spiridon, a monk from Cyprus who died in 348. It is not known when he was confirmed as a saint but certainly by 688 when Cyprus was invaded by the Arabs and his body was moved to Constantinople where it stayed until 1453. A Corfiot monk, Georgios Kalohairetis, took it away after the Turks captured Constantinople and he had it shipped to Corfu which adopted St Spiridon as its patron saint. He continued to perform miracles and in his honour the first-born males of most Corfiot families are named Spiro which can be extremely confusing.
- Published in About Corfu